There’s no doubt about it; skateboarding is a cool sport. Kids, teenagers, and adults all love to skateboard. Even when you’re not riding, skateboarding is satisfying to observe.
Watching a professional display, their stunts can be very beautiful and make you want to ride a skateboard too. If you have never owned a skateboard and don’t even know how to balance on the thing, it’s not too late to start. People from all age groups are learning how to skateboard every day, so you won’t be awkward for starting also.
The first and most important thing about skating is the skateboard itself. As a beginner, you need a tool that will guide you towards stardom.
You cannot start with the very complicated models you see the professional ride in skateboarding competitions. They are too advanced and complicated for a learner.
Whether you’re purchasing for a child who wants to learn or yourself, selecting the perfect beginner skateboard can be complicated if you don’t know what you’re looking for.
There are so many models, brands, and types in the market that it might look impossible to select a great one the first time around. After going through this post, you will have all the information you need, and viable options, to buy the perfect beginner skateboard.
Product Comparison Table
|Playshion||Playshion Complete 22 InchMini Cruiser Skateboard for Beginner with Sturdy Deck Green 2||Prime||Buy Now|
|Cal 7||Cal 7 Complete Mini Cruiser Plastic Skateboard (Donuts)||Prime||Buy Now|
|RIMABLE||RIMABLE Complete 22" Skateboard (Blue & Red)||Prime||Buy Now|
|ChromeWheels||ChromeWheels 31 inch Skateboard Complete Longboard Double Kick Skate Board Cruiser 8 Layer Maple Deck for Extreme Sports and Outdoors||Prime||Buy Now|
|M Merkapa||Merkapa 22" Complete Skateboard with Colorful LED Light Up Wheels for Beginners (Black Wheels Board)||Prime||Buy Now|
|SANSIRP||SANSIRP Skateboard Merkapa 31" Complete Skateboards Standard with Colorful LED Wheels 7 Layers Maple Wood Deck for Kids Boys Girls Adults Beginners||Prime||Buy Now|
|Flybar||Flybar 22" Plastic Cruiser Skateboard Complete||Prime||Buy Now|
|Magneto||Magneto Mini Cruiser Skateboard Cruiser | Short Board | Canadian Maple Deck - Designed for Kids, Teens and Adults … (Heart Beat)||Prime||Buy Now|
Best Skateboard for Beginners and Kids
There is no grip take on this mini-cruiser, so it wasn’t designed for performing sophisticated stunts, but the anti-slip texture ensures that the feet of the rider stay put for safety.
The deck is made from flexible fiberglass and polypropylene that ensure durability while remaining slightly flexible and ideal for city riding. The wheels are made of robust polyurethane, another durable material. They are large and soft wheels that will ensure smooth rides in slightly uneven environments.
The trucks are lightweight but high quality. Speed can be controlled with the oiled bearings of this skateboard. The Playshion beginner skateboard is ideal for adults and kids since it can carry up to 200lbs at a time.
- 22 inches long and 6 inches wide
- Can carry up to 200lb weight
- Has soft wheels
Its small size makes it convenient to carry around, and it can easily fit in your backpack. There is a wide variety of designs to fit children, teenagers, and adults.
The upgraded ABEC 7 bearings combined with 60mm wheels give this skateboard the perfect grip, smoothness, and speed for beginners of all ages. You will enjoy cruising around the park on this piece of art as the small size and shape make turning tight corners very easy.
- 5 inches long and 6.1 inches wide
- Can carry up to 176lbs
- Zero assemblies required
It’s not easy to find a beginner skateboard that combines safety with fun, but RIMABLE makes that possible in their 22” skateboard. Now parents and kids can vouch for the same board. Many parents testify they have had a great experience with this skateboard even with kids as young as 3 years old.
This is a cruiser measures 22 x 6 inches with a weight capacity of 198lbs. That makes it appropriate for teenagers and even adults.
This board will prevent beginners and intermediates from falling while riding on uneven ground, tiny stones, or other challenging surfaces. Loosening the bearing will increase the speed for when the beginner is ready to graduate.
- 22 inches long and 6 inches wide
- Can carry up to 198lbs
- Has soft light-up wheels that require no batteries or charging
This is an ideal gift for beginners who want to take skating seriously. It requires no assembly and can be used right out of the box. The deck features heavy-duty thick aluminum trucks that help support the balance of the rider while they practice basic tricks.
This skateboard was primarily designed for riders of 10 years and older, but it can be upgraded for more advanced riders. The board has a double kick concave combined with small 50 mm wheels, which provides phenomenal durability and excellent shock absorption.
Carrying this skateboard around and storing it is made easier by the provision of a carrying bag. Overall, its stability of construction, strength, and riding smoothness makes it an excellent choice to help a novice learn fast.
- 31 inches long and 8 inches wide
- Can carry up to 220lbs
- Made of maple wood
This 22-inch skateboard with LED wheels has a fantastic deck and fine abrasion-resistant, shock-absorbing wheels. It is a perfect size and rolls with a good speed for children and adults with zero riding experience. The skateboard is quite heavy for its small size, but this works to provide unparalleled stability.
Equipped with colorful light-up wheels, M Merkapa has upgraded its product line. These wheels don’t require batteries or charging to function. They are iconic, attractive, beautiful, but most importantly, very helpful for night visibility.
The board is certified by the CE and guarantees to deliver safe skating for riders who are 180lbs and below. It is a fantastic gift and will serve the consumer for a long time.
- 22 inches long and 6 inches wide
- Can carry up to 180lbs
- Made with high-quality polypropylene material
Flybar skateboard for kids is a symbiosis of retro design and modern technology. The deck measuring 22 x 6 inches is made of high-strength plastic, and its shape resembles the ancestors of skiing boards from the 70s. The wheels are stiff and relatively large – 62 mm in diameter, they add versatility to the skateboard, it is suitable for both riding and stunts, ABEC 7 bearings are responsible for comfort and safety.
There is no doubt in the reliability of the design of the skateboard – the manufacturer gives a lifetime warranty on the suspension. On the one hand, this is a guarantee of a good investment (you will have to pay about 5,000 rubles for the purchase), on the other hand, an excellent marketing move that attracts most skateboarding enthusiasts and professionals. For this customer care, the GLOBE Bantam skateboard gets first place in our ranking.
The skateboard is smaller in comparison with the leader in the rating of children’s boards, the deck width is 6.5 inches, and the length is 22 inches. On the one hand, this is good: it is convenient to take a skate with you, put it in a backpack, it weighs only 2 kg with a similar design of a board of 9 layers of Chinese maple.
On the other hand, it’s more difficult to catch a balance so that the child will need some skill or the help of a coach, parents, so the product of a domestic sports brand takes the second place in the rating.
The chassis of the PlayWheels skateboard is designed for riders with experience: a wide 5 ″ suspension, can withstand loads of up to 80 kg, 50 mm wheels are stiff, like adult professional skateboards – 95A, while ABEC 1 bearings are suitable mainly for young athletes, not teenagers, or just for a quiet ride.
Magneto skateboard is designed for children, adolescents and adults. The nine-layer glued deck made Canadian maple deck with high-quality, does not bend when riding and performing tricks, it is mounted on an aluminum suspension with stable wheels with a diameter of 54 mm. By the way, their rigidity is average (86 A), so the movement even on uneven terrain feels comfortable without strong vibration. ABEC 3 bearings are designed for children’s weight and non-aggressive driving.
The skateboard is small, the deck size is 27.5 ″ x 7.5 ″, and the weight is only 2.5 kg, so it is convenient to carry the board with you, it fits in a backpack. FUN4U Cool is suitable for both training in riding and stunts, and for riders with experience, but not for the professional class.
A Beginners Guide to Skateboarding
Do you have a skateboard but don’t know where to start? Are you wondering how, to begin with, your child who is ready to learn skateboarding? Here are some helpful tips that will have you skateboarding like a pro in no time.
- The basics: the most fundamental thing about skateboarding is a balance. Dedicate your first day to practicing balance. Look for a quiet park where you won’t be disturbed and make sure the surface area where you will be practicing is smooth to avoid injuries if you fall. When you start, use your feet to learn how to control your board while keeping your center mass above the skateboard. This entails trial and error, so don’t expect to get it perfectly from the beginning. Beginners and kids should always have protective gear on and an experienced professional to guide them while they practice. Don’t forget to enjoy yourself while you learn to skate.
- Shoes: apart from the actual skateboard, there’s probably nothing more important than a good pair of skating shoes. Skating in regular shoes is possible, but it’s going to be much harder and sometimes even dangerous. Skate shoes are built with a large flat bottom to grip the board better and often include other features such as strengthening in areas where the shoe is likely to wear down.
- Safety gear: we’ve already mentioned safety gear, but this point cannot be overemphasized. If you or your child is starting skating classes, you don’t want ever to be caught without protective gear. It’s not only common sense to get a safety helmet as a beginner, but it is also required in some skateparks. More protective gear like knee braces and pads will also come in handy and will be a smart buy.
- First steps: set the skateboard on your living carpet, or some grass in your backyard and try to stand on it. These surfaces tend to restrict the movement of skateboard wheels and will help you learn to balance without falling off. As you stand on the board, move your feet into different positions to get used to the board’s size, and feel. Before you try anything more advanced, you need to get the first steps right. If you can maintain your balance, you will avoid some of the most common injuries and continue to skate with confidence.
Here are some tips you should follow diligently when learning to skate:
- Have a board that meets your needs
- Make sure that your board is ideal for beginners.
- Have at least a pair of good skate shoes
- Wear a helmet and other protective gear every time you want to skate
- Find a good skate surface.
- Don’t try tricks from the start.
- Try to stand on the board without falling off.
- Try pushing away
- Try to move to the riding position.
- Learn to turn
- Try tricks only when you’re ready.
What Should You Consider Before Buying a Skateboard?
When considering skateboard options to buy, you should consider the age and size of the rider. Make sure you don’t buy a cheap oversized skateboard for your child.
They will find a hard time learning, and the skateboard probably won’t last if it is low quality. For adult beginners, consider your height and weight because not all skateboards are made equal. If you buy a skateboard that cannot support your weight, you will never be able to use it safely.
There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to selecting a beginner skateboard. There are so many available options, and the riders’ preferences and needs will ultimately determine what kind of skateboard they buy. Consider the following things when buying a skateboard for a beginner.
- Size: size matters. Kids skateboards cannot be overly large, and adult beginners can’t use kid-sized skateboards. The reasons for this are balance and weight. Every beginner needs the right size of the skateboard to match their height and weight so they can learn faster and avoid accidents.
- Durability: the most common materials used in manufacturing skateboards is wood and plastic. If you want a durable skateboard that will stand the test of time, go for polypropylene made skateboards, or models made from sturdy maple wood. Durable skateboards are more reliable and safe, all qualities that beginners need.
- Wheels: lookout for the type of wheels a skateboard has because they aren’t all the same. Soft wheels are suitable for cruising around on uneven surfaces, and hard wheels will be better for hard falls and skateboard tricks. Also, keep in mind that small wheels will be slower and larger wheels will move fast.
- Price: cost should not be the determining factor, but you must have a budget and stick to it. Thankfully, there are excellent beginner skateboards available in a variety of prices so that buyers can afford them on any budget.
- Design: since it is easy to find skateboard in numerous designs, it makes sense to choose the pattern you like. Beginner skateboards for kids are available in vibrant colors and superhero themes. Some even have LED glowing wheels! A lot of more color options are available for adults.
Many people learn how to skate when they’re just kids while others pick it up in adulthood. No matter your age, you can learn how to skateboard like a pro too. You have to equip yourself with the right gear and get a fantastic teacher to guide you.
Skateboarding is a rewarding sport. Apart from being super fun, it teaches coordination, determination, and toughness. You can meet new friends and live an active lifestyle when you learn how to skateboard. And don’t forget, you can perform those colorful stunts you see on TV as well. Stop procrastinating and start today.
Now that you’ve read almost everything you need to know about beginner skateboards and know what to look for when purchasing, what are you waiting for? Step into the next skateboard shop you see and apply your newfound wisdom to select an excellent model to fit your needs.
If you’re buying for a child, you can even bring them along with you to make shopping more fun. Share this post with a friend who has also considered learning how to skate.