Today, even small children show interest in a vehicle such as a skateboard. It is not at all challenging to purchase the most comfortable device for a child if you follow several basic rules.
The first children’s skateboard, as a rule, becomes a classic design with four wheels. It consists of several standard elements. We will talk about them below.
- A deck is a platform that is the base of a skateboard and is formed from several sheets. In most cases, the deck design consists of 7-9 layers, but some simplified models have 6-7 layers.
- The next important component of the skateboard is a coating that resembles the appearance of a sanding pad that prevents slipping of shoes while using the vehicle.
- The suspension connects the board to the wheels, which are responsible for the movement of the skate. Other details may be different – it depends on the complexity of the design.
With the growth of the child, more complex models become available to him, which will be discussed below.
- A ripstick is a two-wheel skateboard whose stability increases with speed. The platform has two segments that can unfold 360 degrees. The universal design allows you to ride, perform stunts, and move down from high slopes.
- A snakeboard is a variation on the design of a skateboard with four wheels and three foldable pieces to form a deck. You cannot use such a vehicle for jumping.
- The freeboard is equipped with six wheels, the smaller of which have axles making a full circle. This kind is recommended only for children who are confidently using the platform.
- The flow board makes it possible to drive along even the most uncomfortable paths, thanks to the presence of seven wheels on each axle.
- Longboard has a greater length and width, which makes riding on flat roads quite comfortable. With this model, the child will be able to maintain stability even with high-speed descents.
- Another unusual model is the cruiser, which allows you to perform complicated tricks.
How old are children to ride?
Despite the fact that today skateboards are made even for young children, experts believe that children under 7 years old should not get on the board. The main reason is that small skateboarders do not yet have sufficient stability to avoid injuries when using a skateboard. However, the final decision, of course, must be made by the parents.
It is also worth noting that preschool children are recommended to stand on a skate only accompanied by an adult coach.
Children’s skateboards of various colors and designs are on sale, although most of the guys still prefer to do their work using painting paints and thematic stickers.
The imagination of the buyer is not limited to anything. For example, you can buy a classic purple skate with neat silk-screen printing, a bright retro model, or an urban platform, the deck of which is painted in such a way as to see the structure of the tree used.
Criteria of choice
To choose the right skateboard for the child, you must make a purchase, taking into account its dimensions and age. Since children’s skate is a full-fledged sports equipment, safety, and the life of a skating child will depend on a sound decision. Also, it is essential to pay attention to what material the deck is made of. The Canadian Maple is considered an ideal option – platforms from it are very popular because of its high quality. For beginner skateboarders, a deck of seven or nine layers is quite suitable.
The quality of plastic skateboards is not much worse than wooden, but they cost much less. There are also models made of aluminum and fiberglass, suitable only for professional skaters.
Be sure to explore the suspension of a skateboard, which is also called tracks. Their weight and height determine the possible speed of the child. For beginners, a platform with lower tracks and sufficient width for more excellent stability is more suitable.
The best option is aluminum pendants and steel rods.
When choosing a skateboard for children, you should ensure that the wheels do not go beyond the edges of the platform. These parts are made of polyvinyl chloride or polyurethane and have a diameter of 45 to 70 mm.
Wheel stiffness can be different. It should be remembered that her choice is directly dependent on coverage. For example, if the road surface is rough, then the wheels need soft. However, if the wheels have great rigidity, then they make it possible to develop greater speed and hence perform rotary stunts.
For a children’s skate, it is better to select wheels with a diameter of 54 mm and with an average rigidity of 78 to 85A. Such a model will make it possible to operate on any road.
Micro-board is designed for those children whose growth does not go abroad 1 m. As a rule, we are talking about the age of children 3, 4, and 5 years. The length of the device varies from 69 to 70 cm, and the width is approximately 16.5-17 cm.
Mini-board is suitable for those skaters, whose growth reaches 1-1.4 m. Such growth corresponds to the age of 6, 7, and 8 years. The sides of the device are 71×18 cm.
The mid-size board is suitable for adolescents from 9 to 12 years old, who are stretched in height by more than 1.5 m. Dimensions of the product are 74×18.5 cm.
Full-size skate is designed for children over 13 years old, and it doesn’t even matter what their height is – the main thing is that the foot size should be 38 sizes or more.
It is not particularly important whether a boy or a girl will use a skateboard, but some recommendations relate to the overall dimensions of the child. For tall and large children, which are most often boys, you need to choose a platform whose width is 21 cm. For “compact” children (girls), a 19 cm wide skateboard is suitable. You should also add a concave – the deeper it is, the easier it is to complete tricks, while ordinary straight line skiing will become more intense.
What kind of protection do you need?
The young skateboarder certainly needs protection to prevent any injuries that occur during a fall. Typically, the basic kit includes a helmet, knee pads, elbow pieces, and wrist rests.
Properly selected sneakers also provide some protection. The material used for them should be soft, but dense, and the model itself should be comfortable to wear. In addition, the presence of a flat sole and tight contact with the deck is essential. One cannot ignore the importance of a tight, but not constricting circumference of the lower leg.
It is better to choose a suit from natural materials, and buy t-shirts from microfiber, which helps to remove sweat better. To free your hands, a small backpack or belt bag will come to the rescue. For the training to take place without injuries, it is necessary to conduct the first training only at the sites equipped for these purposes.
What if the skate goes to the side?
Young skateboarders are faced with such a common problem when the platform goes sideways. There may be several reasons for this. For example, novice athletes are characterized by a simple imbalance. Also, the problem may lie in the twisted suspension or the wheels – you may need to swap them.
Of course, most often, the fault is a crooked board. A factory defect in one or both suspensions is also likely.
See how to choose a quality skateboard for your child in the video below.